In 1974, the National Food and Nutrition Centre opened after it had been
created in virtue of Decree 252/1974. Its activities in the field of food
control commenced while the Spanish Food Register was being developed at the
same time by means of Technical-Health Regulations and while the Industry and
Product Health Register was being established in Spain.
The National Food Centre was incorporated to the Carlos III Health Institute
in virtue of General Health Law 14/1986, dated 25 April. Thereafter, the
demands of the National Health System and of the various Central Government
agencies and institutions were met, as well as those of other public and
Royal Decree 1450/2000, dated 28 July, provided for the coordination of the
activities of the National Food Agency via the General Directorate of
Epidemiology and National Public Health Centres, of the Carlos III Health
When Law 11/2001, dated 5 July, establishing the Spanish Food Safety Agency
and Royal Decree 709/2002, dated 19 July, came into force, the National Food
Centre was assigned to the Spanish Food Safety Agency.
Royal Decree 709/2002, dated 19 July, approving the Statute of the Spanish
Food Safety Agency, directly assigned the National Food Centre to the Executive
Management of the Spanish Food Safety and Nutrition Agency, with a view to
performing scientific-technical and laboratory analysis control functions in
cases provided for in the relevant provisions and in connection with national
and European Union Research & Development & Innovation projects.